Monday, July 21, 2008

Do We Live Vicariously Through our children

I sure hope not! It is too exhausting!
Although I am sure there are many parents that do live vicariously through their kids.
My childhood and teenage years were sensational enough, why go through that all over again. Especially in today’s culture!

When my daughter was growing up that comment was made to me several times. Of course the people who made the comment were parents who were raising their children in a much different way than I was raising my child. I was and have always been an involved parent. They on the other hand were the kind of parents who had children and either controlled every move and decision they made or their children stood as status symbols in their life more than anything else.

My daughter and I have a very strong bond. It has been hard at times walking that thin line and crossing over to best friend and then back to mother.

I did not really have much of a relationship with my mother until I was about seventeen years old. In a time when most moms were stay- at- home my mother worked eight hours a day. My grandmother (my mom’s mom) was the biggest influence in my life. She lived with us and raised my brother and me. As a matter of fact, I don’t have any memories of my mother until I was about eight years old. Oh, I know my mother loved me, but those first years I only remember grandma. She was the one who kissed the boo-boo’s rocked me to sleep, read to me, played with me, and spanked my butt. She is the only face I see when I look back on those early days of my childhood. She was always there.

That’s what I have tried to do. Always be there for my daughter. That bond was established when she lay on my stomach right after birth, before the cord was even cut.
Unlike my grandmother who was a saint, I can’t claim sainthood, but I have kissed the boo boo’s, rocked her to sleep, read to her, played with her and when needed ...spanked her butt!

The boo boo’s are bigger now, and may not show on the outside, but they still require a band aid of sorts. I have stayed with her when she is sick or stressed and can’t get to sleep and even though I don’t read to her anymore we can put on a movie and eat her favorite comfort food. I can no longer discipline her, but a mother’s advice is still given and sometimes ignored.

Do I live vicariously through my daughter? You tell me.

2 comments:

The cup is half full of something I don't like said...

Nicely written. I saw your post in the help center.

My girls are 4 and 6. I try not to think about them being adults. They don't think they are kids now.

do you think you have it? said...

hi Les,

I also saw your post in the help center, and I wanted to stop by and let you know that I like your blog :)... I can relate since my mother and I have always been very close; she has always been and will always be my best friend. There are times though, when I think it makes it a lot harder on her to be so close and yet understand that I'm going to make mistakes and dumb decisions whether or not she agrees. Keep writing!
--Having It